What is Malware, how it steals information and know Protection Mantra!!
A Malware or “malicious software” — is any software program which is designed to harm your device and data. There are Several types of malware — including trojans, viruses, ransomware, spyware and worms — can be installed on your computers. Millions of people have been becoming victim to malware every year. In this article our cyber warriors have explained what is malware and how you can protect yourself from the danger of malware.
What is a Malware?
Malware, short for malicious software is a term for viruses, worms, trojans, spywares, adwares and other harmful computer programs which hackers use to cause destruction in computers and gain access to sensitive information.
Any software program written for malicious intent. It has two classes:
- Virus: Just like its name, virus inters into computer, attach to clean files and infect all the clean files. Virus can spread uncontrollably, damaging a system’s core functionality and deleting or corrupting files. It usually appear as an executable file (.exe). It spreads and replicates itself which ever file it get in touch with the virus. It is similarly like corona virus, if one person get infected and anyone comes in contact with him, the other person also get infected. The property of computer virus is just like a biological virus, it spreads and replicates similar like lit. Virus do damage to files, slows down computer or destroys data or slows down network (worm).
- Trojan: Trojan is another kind of malware which disguises itself as legitimate software, or hides itself in a legitimate software which is purposely tempered by hacker. It tends to act discreetly and create backdoors in your device's security to let other malware in. By opening the backdoor, it's creator can steal data, encrypt the hard disk and negotiate for payment with the owner of the device and after receiving the payment hacker decrypts (ransomware) the hard disk.
How a Malware infects a PC?
- The biggest source of malware is the removable media. Usually we use any USB drive without checking if it has any malware or not and connect it with computer.
- By visiting a website which has malicious code.
- Malware can be installed Manually by a person, when you download an mp3, video file or any other software from suspicious sites, malware can be downloaded into your PC without your knowledge.
- Malware can be attached in the body of an email or in the attachments. When opening such emails or saving the attachments, you can infect your computer.
- Malware can be installed remotely by hackers by gaining administrative permission on your device
- Malware can get into your PC if you click on links from suspicious emails sent from unknown email addresses.
What is the intention of the creator?
The intention is simply to steal sensitive and personal information. Cyber criminals use such dangerous software to steal passwords, delete files and force computers to become inoperable. There are few other actions of a malware:
- Steal Your Sensitive Information
- Slow Your Computer
- Restrict Access to Your Files
- Damage your files and work stored on to computer
Symptoms of Malware
- Slow computer
- Crashing or freezing
- Pop-ups and unwanted programs
- Crashing your device
How to protect against malware
- Have good antivirus with inbuilt firewall on it like Norton, Kaspersky or McAfee etc.
- Never connect any removal media without scanning the USB drive
- Always double check before accessing any site to downloading any file
- Avoid clicking unknown links and pop-ups
- Keep your system up to date