My Facebook Account Got Hacked!! What to do now?
“My Facebook account got hacked, what to do?” is a common question that many of our readers have asked. In most of the cases, either they came to know about it from their friends who got a fake message for transfer of money due to health emergency or observed some defaming content about them.
- Amaan Nizam 11th ,New Horizon School, New Delhi
- Rashi Gupta, 8th, DAV Public School, Jasola Vihar, New Delhi
- Aakriti Maurya, 8th, DAV Public School, Jasola Vihar, New Delhi
- Keisha, 7th, Delhi Public School, Pune
Cartoon Contributed By:
- Shruti Kumari, DAV Public School, Jasola Vihar, New Delhi
- Manashvi Verma, 6th, Mount Litera Zee School
- Apeksha Maurya, 8th, DAV Public School, Jasola Vihar, New Delhi
Why hackers may be interested in hacking your account?
- To collect personal information: These hackers can have different motives to hack a Facebook account. After hacking your account, hackers can do some profiling on your friends and families, know your relationship with them and target them as a prey in future.
- To steal money: Hacker can send individual messages to your family and friends by informing them that you are in some medical emergency and need some immediate financial help by sharing a bank account number to transfer the money.
- Jealousy: Someone known to you may be jealous with you for any reason. In order to defame you, he may post messages with some information shows your involvement in unethical practice
- Harassment/Blackmail: In many cases, hackers have uploaded morphed photograph and then messaged the account holder to pay ransom for removing them.
What to Do Then?
- Ascertain the Damage: First of all, check if you are able to log into your account. Now check the following to ascertain the damage:
- Has any friend request sent to people whom you don't know? If any request sent immediately cancel it.
- Is there any new post shared on your timeline?
- have your account been tagged with any unsolicited post/picture or not.
- Have you become a member of group which is not of your interest and business
- Check with your contacts if they have received any message from your account
- Check your personal information (i.e. Name, Birthday, Email ID, password) if those have been changed
2.You are not able to log on to your account: If you can’t log in, it means the hacker has changed your password and you need to reset your password immediately
- If you are able to Login:
- Change password: If you suspect that your FB account has been hacked but you are still able to log in then change your password of not only your Facebook account, but also which you may have logged in through Facebook. In Settings & Privacy -> Apps & Website, you can see which all apps you logged in through Facebook. Click “log off” from all devices.
2. If You are unable to login:
- Report To Facebook : Go to https://www.facebook.com/hacked/. You’ll be prompted to type in the phone number or email you used to open the account for you to report. If verified correctly, Facebook will help you to reset your password so that you regain the control.
3. In both the cases, you must also do the following
- Let your contacts know: Inform your friends and followers that you were hacked. This will ensure that they are not fooled by hackers.
- Enable 2-Factor Authentication: This will ensure that even if your password gets hacked, the hacker will need another information like OTP to hack your account. To enable two-factor authentication, go to Setting > Security and Log In.
- Don’t share your password to any one: Sharing password is never a good practice, it is always advisable that never share your any password to anyone.
Stay Safe on Facebook
While on any social media platform, your actions and the details you share can put you and even your friends at risk. Hence it is good idea not to share personal information such as address, contact details, travel plan etc. You must review our Facebook settings to make harder for people to target you and guess your Facebook password and your account information.
weseso is a non-profit organization which works for cyber safety of the society with students as agents of change.
To learn more about cyber security read weseso blogs, written by students from different schools. You can also write blogs and take part in various knowledge sharing discussion. To get involved, you first need to become a cyber warrior and become a part of larger community who are committed to secure family, friends and society from cyber crime.
To know how to become a cyber warrior, click the link: https://weseso.org/how-to-become-a-cyber-warrior/